Prior to the Procedure
To ensure you are ready for your procedure you should follow the guidelines listed below. If you have any questions or concerns please call us on 02 8833 7133.
At the time your appointment or consultation is made, you will be told how long you should fast. Please adhere to the instructions you are given.
Before the operation you SHOULD NOT:
- Consume any food for at least six hours prior
- Drink water or any fluids for at least two hours prior
Please follow any instructions given by your doctor or the staff. General guidelines on the day of your procedure are:
- Do not take your diabetic medications – administration of Insulin will be advised by staff from the hospital when they call to confirm your surgery
- You may take your other usual medications with only a sip of water if required
- Take any heart or blood pressure medications with only a sip of water
- If you are taking Warfarin or Clexane medication, it is important that you provide the centre with a recent INR blood test result taken a few days prior to admission
- Continue to take any blood thinners unless instructed by your surgeon, anaesthetist or General Practitioner
If you have any specific queries or concerns about your medications, please contact our friendly team who would be happy to assist you.
What to Wear
- Please wear clean, loose and comfortable clothes
- Before the operation, you may shower or wash as normal
- We suggest that you wash your hair the day before surgery. It is recommended that you do not wash your hair again for up to ONE WEEK after the operation
- Do not bring any jewellery with you
- Do not wear any makeup, perfumes, aftershave, spray deodorant or hairspray
- Leave your valuables at home
What to expect
Our friendly staff will check your details on arrival and make you comfortable in our patient waiting area.
Expect to be a minimum of three hours at the hospital on the day of your operation and do not make any plans for the rest of the day.
Please allow adequate travelling and parking time so that you arrive on time and relaxed
If your appointment is after hours please press the intercom button located on the right-hand side of the glass entry doors so that we can allow access
You are welcome to bring a friend or family member who can accompany you while waiting for your surgery
Please ensure mobile telephones are switched off prior to going into theatre
Please bring a pair of sunglasses with you to wear, as your eyes may be glare sensitive initially when you leave the centre
You MUST arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home, or some other form of transport, as you can’t drive yourself